Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cakez

I've had cake conversations lately and I thought I'd dig around on the computer and see if I had any cake pictures. Turns out I did and when I remembered all the work that went into them I decided I should post them. I couldn't find all the pictures and I'm sure some of them are sitting in our storage unit in Michigan on a medium we used back in ancient times called "film."

I'm not a pro at the whole cake scene but it didn't seem like Rocket Surgery to me and I decided that it was something I could figure out. I still can't do what they do in the shops but as long as I avoid rectangles and any attempt at "smoothness" I think I'm ok. HA!

Cakes were really important to the formation of the Gomms. I made a cake for Troy's birthday when we were dating and I think that was the thing that clinched the deal :-P So here are the pictures of the cakes I could find.

The butterfly cake is from Scout's first birthday. The woven part is fondant, the rest was me playing around with different sized tips on a frosting squisher thing I had just gotten. That cake was a pain in the bum.

The soccer balls were from Kevin and Natalie's (my sister Sarah's twins) 5th birthday. I had gotten a new ball shaped cake pan but it didn't seem like enough cake so I made the cone too...mmm cake.

The Care Bear cake was from Savannah's 5th birthday. It's not that great except that it's tiny (about 6 inches) and I made one for all the kids at the party to go along with the Build-A-Bear workshop trip.


















The castle cake is already on our blog in the post about Scout's birthday but I figure if you're bored enough to read our blog you won't mind seeing a cake twice. For this one I made almost 300 tiny tiny fondant flowers and enlisted the help of my mom and dad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoooooaaaah!!! We want cake!

- Angie, Violet, and Ivy

Lynette in Delaware said...

Amanda - you have awesome talent!
You make my poor lopsided masterpieces look pathetic!
Glad someone in the family has such wonderful talent!

Anonymous said...

I love cake and what you do to them is amazing. What's more, I have seen you with a deadline and noted with great pleasure your grace under pressure. I'd have been a wreck at your age.

Sarah Smiles said...

Wow! I have made lots of fancy cakes in my day for all of my children's birthdays, but none of them have been that fancy.