Sunday, October 7, 2007

Singapore Tidbits: Part 2

While in Singapore, I heard this song. It's a Mongolian Folk style song called "My Three Treasures". It was written by a Mongolian guy in China. He saw how a lot of Mongolians were moving to the large cities in China and the next generation was losing their mother tongue. He wrote this song so that Mongolian kids growing up in the cities would at least know some of their ancestral language through the words to a Mongolian song. The song is about Mother, Father, and Child (the three treasures). The song was extremely popular and stayed at the top of the Mandarin pop charts for over a month. I also saw a show about the little girl singer in the song on the Discovery Channel Asia (the show was called "Mongolian Idol").

Next tidbit. I've been buying a lot of baked goods at a Japanese bakery across the street from my hotel (most of my meals have been from there. oops! ^____^). Here's a picture of my sweet sweet candy:On the left is a curry donut - donut dough with chicken curry inside, fried like a donut. On the bottom is a chocolate and custard bun. On one side it has a vanilla custard inside, on the other side it has a chocolate paste. On the right is a soy bean & cheese roll. Soft bread, soy beans inside, toasted cheese on top. Yuhm Yuhm Yuhm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any more info or a translation of "my three treasures"?