Wednesday, September 17, 2008

And So It Begins

We've had our first fundraiser flier sent home today. This is the first year that I've received 3 opportunities to disappoint my children with my lack of generosity.

I've had neighbor kids knocking at my door asking me to donate so I've gotten to rip their little hearts out and crush their hope as well. I understand that they shouldn't ask strangers since that's a dangerous situation but everyone they know sits next to them in class and went to the same Pep Rally/Fundraiser assembly that they did. Everyone I know either lives far away or has 3-4 other children with the same empty Fun Run donation sheet that I have in triplicate.

Troy is hesitant to take this one to work. It's one of those "Pledge X amount of $$ per lap and collect it later" types. He doesn't want to be hounding his co-workers for money in a couple of weeks when it turns out that Scout can run a 4 minute mile.

I'm glad that at least it's not one of those horrid brochures of junk...you know the ones...where you can buy 3 cubic inches of wrapping paper (double sided don't you worry) for 40 bucks, a box of 7 chocolates for the price of a small country or some random kitchen doo-dad with geese on it for mere dollars a day (on the 16 year payment plan).

So here's my dilemma. The kids have 25 minutes to run as many laps around the high school track as they can. I can pledge money per lap and then feed my kids a huge breakfast of greazy sausage, eggs and chocolate milk hoping for cramp-induced low lappage, I can pledge money per lap and tell them I'll give them each 50 cents to throw the race or...*sigh*...I can pledge a set amount and see the look in their eyes when they realize that they don't qualify for the Grand Prize of a Super Cool Super Soaker.

Maybe I'll get them a piece of cardboard, a sharpie and drop them off at the interstate off-ramp and see how much they can collect...Anything Helps God Bless.

What's a little dignity or integrity if you can win a Super Cool Super Soaker?

8 comments:

RainyPM said...

Here's a little something to cheer you up:

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

Amanda said...

Hehe YAY!

Here's another happy one:

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

LHC FTW

Amy said...

Funny that you should post this...last week a girl from down the street hit me up...she has three other siblings in school too but her mom made them divide the neighborhood so each house was only hit once by their family...I took one look at her and remembered how much I HATED selling crap when I was in school and took pity on her...I bought double sided wraping paper... :) When I wrote the check I appreciated her mother's game plan...Good luck!

Lynette in Delaware said...

It's all about guilt. That is one of the strongest emotions (for a Mom). Hang tough on the school donations. Hey don't we pay school tax?
I was just checking.

Triddoch said...

Ha! You could write about anything and make me laugh, Amanda!

Trisha

Triddoch said...

Troy and I used to go out and try to sell cards and wrapping paper all in the attempt to earn a two-potatoe-clock! We never did get one, did we Troy?

Sarah Smiles said...

Amanda, you are hilarious! I laughed and laughed! I feel exactly the same way. My children are on their second fundraiser for the year. Yesterday, my oldest informed me that she didn't even bring the packet home because she knew I wouldn't buy anything. She told her teacher that her mom never buys anything. Then she informed me that everyone else's Mom does,almost everyone else's.

Sarah Smiles said...

Oh, by the way that last one was from Sarah Eich. I feel the same way about fundraisers, but I love the way you put it.