Saturday, April 19, 2008

Gomms Go Green: An Update

I found a list of "easy" ways to reduce your family's impact on the environment. One of the first things they recommend is to eat locally.

Great idea right? It reduces the travel time, and therefore the carbon footprint, of the ingredients in your meals and it supports the local economy. Oregon is notoriously organic (psycho-hippy might be more accurate) so not only will the food will be fresher, it is likely to be more healthy or at least not so be-chemicaled.

I found a website for finding your locally grown/raised foods:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/foodmiles/default.asp

So I entered my information. So excited to find out what I can buy here or what new exciting things I will find to incorporate into our meals!

Where do I live? Oregon.

What season is it? Late April.

What amazing new locally grown foods will we get to eat for the next few weeks? Rhubarb.

Rhubarb.

What?!

OK so for the next 2 weeks I will be trying my darndest to figure out a recipe that meets the following criteria:

  • My family will eat it
  • It contains rhubarb as a major ingredient
  • It isn't pie (not that I don't like pie but finding new sweet treats that are environmentally friendly isn't really the point)
Anybody got any ideas? I mean really...Rhubarb???

4 comments:

david@gommstudios.com said...

Going to Grandma and Grandpa Gomm’s farm in Star Valley (that’s Ben and Opal), we would get to eat rhubarb when we visited. I can still envision just where the rhubarb grew. Dad or grandpa would cut a stalk of it for us, they always carried a pocketknife.

Then we would chew on the stalk, with that sour juice running down our necks. Sour Patch kids candy has nothing on rhubarb!

RainyPM said...

We grew rhubarb in our garden in Idaho and I loved when my mom made it into rhubarb crisp for us. It was so tangy it made my mouth water like crazy.

I tried to look up some recipes that met your criteria and found this on wikipedia: "...the use of rhubarb as food is a relatively recent innovation, first recorded in 17th century England, after affordable sugar became available to common people..."

You could try a strawberry-rhubarb jam which would probably be sublime, but still sugary. Rhubarb bread is pretty good, kind of like zucchini bread is good. This site has rhubarb recipes: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html including rhubarb wine and promising rhubarb gruel in the near future. :)

Amanda said...

HAHAHA! That's so perfect.

Shall we just take a moment to celebrate that sugar is available to the common people?!!

WAHOOOOO!

I wonder if rhubarb stock chewing is more nutritious than Sour Patch Kids? At least there would be less preservatives.

Ok gotta run...it takes a lot of work to get that Rhubarb wine fermenting properly.

Pb said...

I love the new look to the website.

As to Rhubarb, there must be a usage in chinese cookery to apply the sour and texture in some form of sweet and sour mix.