Monday, April 14, 2008

Kids Books

I asked for everyone's suggestions on children's books a couple of weeks ago. I've had some people ask what others had suggested, which ones we really liked and what else we had found. Here's what I checked out last week and how we felt about them:

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle
Verdict: Must Read
This one's a classic. The kids loved reading the last page along with me (children, children, what do YOU see?). We also made our own "What Do You See" book using a collaborative book I got at the library. If you haven't read this book...HI! welcome to 1992...now go to the library! Jeez.

The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
Verdict: Relatable
When I first saw this book I thought it looked too old to be interesting. I know, age discrimination. I'm a bigot. But, you know, the colors looked a little 70s and I thought it would be boring. The story isn't exactly a edge-of-your-seat thriller but it's NOT boring. The girls followed the story and identified with the little boy who planted, watered and weeded the carrot seed but was told at every turn that it wasn't going to grow. When the carrot finally popped up, the girls were overjoyed. They were a little confused since I think they thought carrots grew on trees like apples but once they saw him carrying the carrot around in a wheelbarrow they cheered and wanted to read it again and again.

If you take a Mouse to School by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Verdict: Been There, Read That
It's another "If you _____ a Mouse a _____" book and follows the same circular formula that originated in "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie." The illustrations are fun and the kids love it. It's not too long and although it's not going to make my top 5 all time favorites, if you've got If You Give A Mouse A Cookie (Take Him To The Movies, Give Him A Pancake, Buy Him A McDonald's Franchise etc) memorized because your child can't get enough of those wacky antics, you might try this one. It will be a refreshing change of venue for you but has all the elements that made the first ones such a hit.

Rumble in the Jungle by Giles Andreae
Verdict: Elephing
This one described jungle animals giving one page of cute illustrations and one stanza for each of the classic animals of the jungle. One problem with it was that it changed meters occasionally making reading it aloud a little weird. It only changed meter when it changed stanza though, and it came with a "read along" cd so it wasn't the end of the world. A few things in the book made me laugh though. The elephant wanders "through the jungle Just elephing around" Elephing. ha. If the chimpanzees can't find any food they "munch each other's fleas" the boa constrictor knows that it's not very friendly to squash his prey but, hey, it's tastier and the crocodile loves to come to the river for a little animal watching but thinks its so great that he can't help eating a few of them. The end has some scary moments when it describes the leopard and tigers prowling the night and making you "tremble with fear." Good for jungle themes but flip to the end first and make sure it's not something that would frighten your readers.

Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Jen Corace
Verdict: Amanda Pick
Of this group, this is my pick for best all around. The story is timeless and timely (Little Pea doesn't like to eat dinner...he just CAN'T STAND all that candy). The pictures are very simple but really expressive (the faces he makes as he eats could be caricatures of my kids eating their veggies). If you've got kids in your life in any capacity, you should check this one out and read it together. Next time you're serving a meal and meeting some resistance, bring up Little Pea and how he ate his candy even though he didn't like it...Pleh.

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
Verdict: Kid Pick
This one would be the pick for best all around by the kids. They talked about this book days later and were so upset when I took it back to the library. Luckily, the pigeon has more adventures that we will be checking out. It's a short, simple book (I was surprised when it ended) but has some opportunity for great thespian moments while you read this one aloud. The girls jumped, covered their ears and then wouldn't stop giggling after I yelled "LET ME DRIVE THE BUSSSSSS!" at the top of my lungs.

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming. I only have a few more left on my list and those just came into the library. I definitely need more good ideas!

1 comment:

RainyPM said...

I am going to mention a couple that we read after they were suggested in your previous post.

First off, Click Clack Moo - a new favorite. My daughter's been walking around the house saying, "Click clack moo," and "Click clack QUACK."

We also liked the Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and the Big Green Monster book. She was getting more and more nervous about that monster book, until we turned over the first page that makes him go away. Then she was just gleeful.

Now for Bark, George. My daughter thinks it's okay, but my husband and I aren't completely sold. The faces the puppy, doctor and mom make while all those animals are getting pulled out are a littley scary, and then that last page... I can only conclude the dog just ATE A PERSON. Creepy.