Thursday, May 1, 2008

Raw Food: What Have I Gotten Myself Into

Every week on Monday I sit down at the computer and try to figure out the week's menu. I'm in charge of the nutritional health of my family and I was struck first by my own ignorance and then by this wave of frustration that there were other people out there who would have been better at feeding my own family. In 2008 I decided I would begin a serious study of nutrition and figure out what the fuss is all about.

January 1st I went to the FDA's website and learned about the current recommendations by the government agency that was clever enough to completely screw up the food guide pyramid (see picture...totally unhelpfully striped right? grr). I chose to tackle the green stripe first. I knew for sure that we weren't eating enough vegetables so starting there seemed logical. It was quite eye-opening and affirmed my decision to take things slowly and only try to wrap my head around one thing each week.

So I now understand and have implemented the guidelines set forth by the United States Government on what I and my family should eat. I have my own fancy excel sheet to tally up all of our individual requirements. I'm still experimenting with new dinner recipes and trying to find more healthy sources for whole grains but I'm no longer overwhelmed by the idea of the vegetable group being divided into 5 distinct categories of its own.

Moving beyond the safe stripey slope of the food guide pyramid has been the completely fun part. Troy came up with the idea for our next experiment: Lycopene. We had a truly tomato-licious week trying to fit in 10 servings of the vegetable...no, fruit...no, vegetable, into our dinners. We decided a life of nothing but tomato based family dinners was not a life we wanted to lead...even if it gave us a 45% better chance at being cancer free. We found a new source for organic vine ripened cherry tomatoes that fit into our budget and voila, tomatoes shifted to a lunchtime responsibility and we're down to only one tomatoey dinner per week (and yes, I know processed tomatoes have more lycopene but Troy's vitamins will have to fill in that gap :-P). Thank heavens since it turns out that tomatoes are Scout's arch-enemy.

We've been working on vegetarian meals next and that's really helped with fitting beans into our life. Our favorite recipe is Black Bean and Salsa Soup...so yummy and so easy. This week taught me that there's a unique balance that each family has to find. Food must be healthy, appealing and financially appropriate all at once. We're still experimenting to build our Vegetarian Portfolio.

Next came eating locally which we're still trying out. May is the month that the local farmer's markets really get going so I'm excited to continue this journey. I never would have known the horror of a bad rhubarb recipe if it weren't for this. ^_^

The kids have really learned to trust me through all these weird experiments. If it's edible but not so good, we all try it. If it's too disgusting to describe without using the word "mucus" and even I can't handle it we grab the leftovers out of the fridge and chalk it up to experience.

This week is a really crazy idea. I first heard about Raw Foods a week and a half ago and suddenly it's everywhere I look. I figured, why not find out what that's all about? It's the biggest task I've undertaken so far. I'll need more than one week to figure this sucker out...not to mention grow my own oat sprouts and whatnot. We're having our first raw meal tonight so I'll keep you posted. I'm reading the book The Complete Book of Raw Food by Lori Baird and found a really interesting series on Steve Pavlina's blog.

In some of the literature I've been reading it was suggested that the benefits of raw eating can be seen from eating 50% raw. I think we're going to aim for that particular threshold as a family. I don't know if I can convince Troy that dehydrated groats and seaweed covered in a little tahini is a sustainable lifestyle. hehe

So what's next? I don't know...but I'm excited to find out. Wish us luck and let me know what you think we should try!

4 comments:

Pb said...

So have you figured out that the Government recommendations are designed to meet the needs of an average person and that none of us are average? A millenia of carbohydrate eating habits of the Irish versus a millenia of seafood eating habits of the polynesians suggests that those who survived to propogate probably did better with their own brand of diet. An individual whose ancestors developed the genetic makeup to process carbs may have difficulty with a burdensome load of proteins and vice versa. So what do Gomm/Bryans thrive on? What do their ancestors suggest?

Tricia said...

Let me know how it turns out & send me those recipes you like!! When all these crazy 'other' family members of mine finally leave my house I will be able to go back to eating more fresh stuff. I can't buy groceries for two completely different eating requirements & my dad & brother would starve & die on raw organic foods. I know, I know - don't tell me - I already hear it from everyone else that doesn't have to live with them. Shouldn't be much longer...

Amanda said...

I think it's obvious that the Gomm/Bryan genes are anthropologically predisposed to thrive on a diet of Potato Chips and Apple Pie. Our ancestors hailed from Idaho and Washington after all! hehe

Tricia...you know all the people that tell you all those things are really in awe of your patience, generosity and willingness to put up with all their crap right? You're a saint--but in a good way (not the irritating self-righteous get-off-my-back-you-goodie-goodie kind of way).

Megan said...

You are amazing! How do you find the time to devote to such healthy eating for your entire family? It seems like I keep going on these diets but still feed my fam the usual not so healthy stuff. Do your kids really eat it? How is it going on your budget? Keep us updated and pass on the good recipes!