Thursday, July 31, 2008

Driving In Malaysia

We've really enjoyed taking the subway around Singapore. It's clean, fast, cheap and for the most part, it takes us to within feet of where we want to go. When we've traveled to and from the different countries we've had to hire drivers and got to experience the commute that so many Malay and Singaporeans experience everyday.

The picture is our driver. He gave us a lot of advice on where to visit both in Malaysia and Singapore, taught us several phrases in Malay and even ended up giving Troy his number for the next time we're in town and want to go up to K.L.

They drive on the left side of the road so their cars all seemed backwards at first. It took me a while to figure out how that affects people walking around in the mall (I find myself swimming upstream in a sea of people far too often).

As we've traveled around the U.S. each state has a unique font and style to their road signs and it always strikes me as one of those things we take for granted until it's suddenly different. Thus, I took lots of sign pictures as we raced down the highway. These are all taken through the windshield at 100 kph so forgive me if they're blurry. I still find them fascinating.


1 comment:

Lynette in Delaware said...

You and Troy have a refreshing and fun way to notice the , unusual, odd, and ironic.
Thanks for sharing